Saturday, February 07, 2009

Dinner @ Charlotte's

“Let's put our hands together and pray for our food.”

I held hands with Charlotte and her mom as her mom said a prayer for our dinner. It was fish that Charlotte's sister, Inge, who had caught it in Namibia, and they had invited me over for the braai/BBQ. This was the third time that I am eating with her family, something that I am very grateful for.

The first time was when I was in Bloemfontein for the eco-school assessment. It was my first time having a dinner at a more traditional “English” household. There was a prelude of chips and tea and epilogue of tea and chocolate to the dinner. It was a really nice, warm and homely experience. It made me feel like home, and Charlotte's mom also reminded me of my mom and aunt.

The second time, I was invited over for Christmas lunch. Again, it was a new experience for me, putting on Christmas hats and popping Christmas crackers. As usual, her mom wiped up delicious meals which were presented so nicely that they could easily be part of a hotel buffet. I was really touched by her family who so kindly offered me to be a part of their celebration.

To a large extend, Charlotte's family is like a surrogate family to me in this foreign land. I look forward to every interaction with them, as they remind me, and provide me of the family warmth that I lack over here. This is one of those memories that I will pack carefully and safely in one corner of my heart and bring it back with me when I go home.


No comments:

Post a Comment