Saturday, November 01, 2008

Taking Time Off - An Alien Concept

“But what can I do if I take off?” I candidly replied to my supervisor who felt that I was working too hard, and should take some time off.

“Er, you can sleep in later or tidy your house?” Sandra earnestly suggested.

I further explained that since I wake up daily at 5.30am, it was difficult for me to sleep in. Even on weekends, I “sleep in” till at most 7 plus. And tidy the house? Because I do keep my little house tidy and neat on a daily basis. It doesn't take much time for me during the weekends to do my more extensive household chores. I reassured her that I would definitely take time off when I feel exhausted, and need time to rest.

Actually, there are also other reasons why I don't take time off.

1) An Alien Concept
As a teacher, I don't calculate the hours that is put into work on a monthly basis, nor do I have the option of taking time off just because I have worked over the stipulated hours. When work needs to be done, it needs to be done. And there is no such thing as I have finished all my work and I can go home early. And as a teacher, unless I am really sick and have a MC, I would not stay at home or do my own things while my colleagues are still at work. It just doesn't feel right to just take a day off.

2) Already Taking Time Off
On average, I have been working 9-10h daily for the month of October. For a person who used to leave home for work before sunrise and return after sunset, working for an average of 12h daily, it is already a luxury to be back home by 5pm. Also, because I do not have to bring work home, I could sleep a full 8h on a daily basis. Moreover, I get to do caneoing or go on hikes almost on weekly basis during office hours, and I can even clock these leisure activities as “work time”! What more can I ask for?

However, I must admit that if I had a car or there is reliable public transport to Clarens or Bethlehem, I would probably take time off to explore the towns. Nevertheless, would do that when david comes around, and we can explore the towns together.

In the meantime, taking time off? Nagh... maybe when I'm really sick or need to rest...

No comments:

Post a Comment