Saturday, October 18, 2008

A Slave to Technology

Editor's Note: I don't think you can truly understand what I am saying or understand how I am feeling in this blog entry. Nevertheless, I am doing what Singaporeans are best in doing – complaining. So, just bear with my rumblings.

I was so angry that I could feel my chest tightened immediately. I had to close my eyes and breath slowly and deeply to calm myself down. I could feel tears swelling in my eyes. Tears from anger, not from being upset. The knots in my temple were so tight that my head would probably burst at the slightest touch. I had never been so frustrated and angry in my life.

Never. Ever.

I was surfing on the net on the evening of 18 Oct when my data credits ran out. When I tried to purchase more data bundles (at R80 for 100mb), I was told that I was only allowed to do so once a month. I had to wait till after 24 Oct to make my second purchase. I couldn't believe what I heard! Nobody from the service provider could give me a reason for such a rule. Which means that I only have two choices – pay R2 per mb or go without internet access till 24 Oct.

How can I be paying R2 per mb when my budget is R100 per week?
Also, why would I pay R2 (S$0.35) for a miserable mb, i.e. R160 ($30) for just 80mb to surf facebook, when R160 could probably buy me UNLIMitED access back home. Not to mention that R160 can also buy me 30 pieces of chicken (R90), 5 heads of cabbage (R35), 5 bags of carrots (R25)and 15 onions (R10)!

I feel miserable.

And ANGRY.

Reason 1
Because of the lack of competition and expertise, technology is ridiculously expensive over here. Games that usually we can buy for $10 at petrol stations are sold at $50 over here. Computer cables/wire that would cost $6 to $8 back home are sold in shops at $30 to $40. The same wireless modem that can be purchased for $120 in Singapore cost $350 here.

Reason 2
It is not just the high cost of technology that is pissing me off. It is also the arrogance of the SERVICE providers. How can MTN, the only network that I can use in Golden Gate, call themselves the SERVICE providers when their service plans actually blatantly “milks” the customer?

1st – you can only purchase data bundles once a month, i.e. you are forced to spend more money to purchase a larger bundle or end up paying R2 per mb when your original bundle is used up

2nd – even if you purchase a larger bundle (e.g. 1G ), it will also also expire after one month, and you cannot carry the data over.

Which means to say that if you are working online, and suddenly you have used up your data bundle before the month ends – too bad, you have to continue your work paying exorbitant prices, and the next month you just have to learn your lesson and purchase a larger data bundle.

And you call that service?

Reason 3
The lack of IT competency also frustrates me. Recently, I had to check out a quotation for laptop repair, and I e-mailed a computer repair centre in Bethehelm. It scared me when it took them 3 days to reply my email. I can understand if a local school takes two weeks to reply an e-mail or they do not even have e-mail, but I find it hard to comprehend how a supposedly IT service centre can take 3 days to reply an e-mail. Also, they insisted that the laptop is virus free until I ask them to insert their thumb drive into the laptop, and use it on their own computer, which then alerted them of the virus.

Reason 4
Lastly, the viruses are driving me nuts. I freaked out when I scanned my thumbdrive and found that 471 of my files were infected with 3 different viruses. And I am quite sure that at least another virus have not been identified or picked up by the anti-virus scan as I am still having funny files on my thumbdrive that I cannot delete.

I am seriously trying to cope without reliable technology. I can handle and cope with all other “challenges”, e.g. having no water or clean water for a few days, having no power at times, having a tight budget etc. But the lack of realiable technology is driving me nuts. I have to learn how to manage my emotions while waiting up to 20min for the office computer to start up and load outlook for me to start working.

Thankfully, I still have this mini-hand-top to keep me sane by being able to type my blog entries and listen to music. I cannot imagine if my mini-hand-top is also infected with viruses. I would probably be zombified.

Can I live without internet access at home? Yes, I have already been doing that from mid Jul to end Sept anyway. While, on a positive note, other than saving money, I will definitely be posting more blog entries now that I have more time to reflect at home rather than to surf the net.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm not here to be a teacher to you, but I hope you'll remember what I'm about to tell you: When things gone bad, always look at its bright side.

    You were frustrated due the incompetence of the technology out there. That's the thing that you should have considered before thinking about doing a voluntary work in a developing country. I mean, look, there's always a bright side in every dark moments.

    Think that the price of data bundles is ridiculous? Be glad that you don't even have to bother about the economics here. You're doing what you love to do there, woman! Some people lost the jobs they hate here. You, nobody could fire you for doing what you love to do.
    Me? I'm in my 20s and still working on my bachelor.

    Regarding the title, I disagree. If you can live without the Internet for a couple of months, then you're out of that category. Believe me, many people here can't live without their cell phone for a day. If it makes you feel any better, most of them can't live without the Internet on their phones. Most of them are for chats, Facebook & e-mails. What do you gain from Facebook? It's just a more advanced Friendster, don't you think?

    If you ask me, use your precious 100mb for CNN/Yahoo news & e-mails. You don't have to check your e-mails daily. I'm sure your husband & family could live with that. I think the old-school method called "phone call" would be more effective than e-mails. Hehehe.

    If you go on and live like that, I'm sure you'll appreciate the convenient access to Internet more while you're back home. For the record, telling your students how hard was it to live in South Africa wouldn't change their attitude unless they experience what you did. It sounds arrogant, but it's true.

    Take care! Spending your money on fruits is better than spending it on medicine. =D

    -Johan

    ReplyDelete