Sunday, January 25, 2009

Chinese New Year @ Golden Gate

Sticking to traditions, I started spring cleaning on Saturday. Defrosted my fridge and gave it a good scrub. Cleaned my sheets & pillows. Vacuumed and mopped the floor. Scrubbed the toilet & kitchen. Cleaned my oven. Tidy the house. For my reunion dinner, I wiped up a nice meal with prawns, dried shitake mushrooms and broccoli. The only thing that was missing was the presence of family.

It was strange spending new year away from home, family and friends. However, thanks to technology, I was able to call my family and friends to send my greetings half way across the globe. It was really heartwarming to hear the familiar voices from home. It was then that I fully understand the meaning of absence makes one's heart fonder. I also then decided that I shall not be so stingy (with money) and try to call them more often.

Another reason that made me upset, spending new year away from home, was the fact that I could not have my lao he (toss fish) this year. I really do not understand why this dish is only available during this time of the year. The ingredients are actually available in the market all year round! (Actually, I do understand, but I'm in denial at the moment.) It's my favourite dish that I look forward to every year, and I would eat it on all the 15 days if I could.

Nevertheless, I'm glad to be back home for the next new year. And I am quite sure I would never spend another new year away from home, ever again!

No comments:

Post a Comment