Friday, September 19, 2008

My Little Red Dot

“Singapore! Oh, i know Singapore!”

“Oh great! Thanks for not asking me which part of China!” I replied, being really grateful that someone knows where I come from and that Singapore is not anywhere in or near China.

“Yes yes, i know, cos my aunt is also from Taiwan,” my new south african friend proudly announced to the group and continued to share with us the delicious food that his taiwanese aunt makes.

I just gave a polite smile. I didn't want to embarrass my new friend. I would find another appropriate moment to tell him that Singapore is also not anywhere in or near Taiwan.

I find that Singapore is not an easy concept or place to imagine. The only person who truly bothered to find out where I came from was Alet, the student intern at Golden Gate, and she said, “I really tried my best to find where is Singapore on the map, but i can't find it!” When i showed her the word Singapore on the world map, I had to convince her that my country actually existed, it was simply just covered by the little red dot used to indicate the name Singapore.

Another common question that I get a lot:

“So which city do you live in Singapore?”

“Er, Singapore?”

“I know you live in Singapore. What is the city? Where is your capital?”

“Er, Singapore?!” Then I have to explain how the island Singapore is a city. It is hard to imagine for many, especially when I tell them that my entire country can fit between where i stay in Golden Gate to the nearest town Bethlehem 48km way.

“So how does your country earn a living?!!!!”

“We focus mainly on manufacturing and services.”

“You mean like you make your own cars? but your country is so small!” Then i continue to explain that in Singapore we focus on high-valued and value-added manufacturing services, and gave examples on how we are one of the largest oil exporters in the world despite not having our own oil supply, and how because of land shortage, we also have several investments overseas. And how we have expanded our land through land reclamation to around 1.4 times from the original size. Somehow the more i described, the more unconvinced my audience became. The last straw was when i told them that we live in flat units as high as 40 stories, and that all 40 floors were just apartments, not offices.

Nevertheless, two weeks ago, I had an unbelievable nice conversation with the most unlikely person that had actually been to Singapore! It was with Charlotte (stable master @ GG)'s grandmother! She had went on a Southeast Asia tour during the 1980s. Her memory was really good as she discussed her adventures in the various countries like Thailand, Hong Kong etc she also remembered being in Singapore, and Changi Airport =)

My little red dot, my little red dot. Hopefully through this year, more people from this side of the world will get to know who you are.

1 comment:

  1. Miss Mok!
    Alvin Chua here. It seems like you're getting use to living in Africa.

    Well according to you latest blog it seems like many people around the world thought that Singapore is a part of China.

    I'm sure the up coming events in Singapore will make the world take notice of Singapore.Such as the Formula1 Night race and the Youth Olympic Games 2010.

    And I'm very sure your new friends will be shock to hear that Singaporeans drink newater, produce by us Singaporeans ourselves.

    Anyway all the best and hope you return soon!

    ReplyDelete